The first step to accessing help begins by visiting your family doctor. Talking to a doctor as soon as possible about any mental health concern can help clarify options for assistance and determine, or rule out, any physical causes for mental health issues.
If you don’t have a regular family doctor, there are other options available for accessing mental health professionals:
- Go to a walk-in clinic or local hospital emergency room;
- Call Alberta’s 24-hour Mental Health Help Line from anywhere in Alberta at
1-877-303-2642 for confidential information and referrals;
- Call Health Link Alberta, a 24-hour advice and health information line staffed by registered nurses. Call from anywhere in the province by dialing:
- 403-943-5465 in Calgary;
- 780-408-5465 in Edmonton;
- 1-866-408-5465 for a toll-free line from anywhere in Alberta.
Remember, mental illnesses are treatable, so asking for help is critical to regain optimal mental health. Health-care professionals can work with you to determine the problem and prescribe the best treatment options for you.