Volunteering is an excellent way to broaden your social support network and keep your mind active by learning new things. It is an easy way to build connections with your local community, and doing so provides an opportunity to:
- Share your knowledge and experiences;
- Give back to your community;
- Make a positive difference;
- Feel good about yourself;
- Discover a new hobby;
- Make new friends;
- Help others in need.
Most non-profit organizations rely on the dedication of volunteers. Mental health charities are no different. The Canadian Mental Health Association, for example, relies on volunteers to help provide programs to the thousands of people who depend on our services each year.
Not only does volunteering have many benefits for you, but it also is an excellent way to strengthen Alberta’s mental health sector. So why not call a CMHA office near you or find another cause that’s close to your heart and begin volunteering today!
- Become involved with families by providing support, resources, and information for those living with a mental illness in the family;
- Help raise funds through events such as bingos and tournaments;
- Attend fun events with CMHA clients, events like tobogganing, movies, dining out, and BBQ’s;
- Provide companionship and mentoring to individuals in need;
- Model healthy relationships for adults living with a mental illness by facilitating group meetings, assisting in program development, and acting as a positive resource;
- Create awareness by giving presentations about mental health issues to youth and adult groups;
- Help with office-related tasks.
To learn more about great ways to get involved at CMHA, contact your local Canadian Mental Health Association office.